Tuesday 16 December 2014

Christmas Favourites

Now that the '10 Days Until Christmas' countdown has passed, I am officially in Christmas mode! Does anybody else get that feeling towards Christmas time when they can feel the energy bubbling around inside of them? I think I'm turning into a Christmas elf...

In case it hasn't been iterated enough, Christmas is one of my all-time favourite holidays. The merriness, the tradition, and the peacefulness of it all makes it a wonderful and spirited holiday to be a part of. Christmas also allows for families to spend more time together, and reconnect and rekindle relationships. I personally love this aspect of Christmas, and the gift of family, love and connection is one of the greatest gifts of all.

I am now going to share with you a few of my Christmas favourites. Please note that this post is not being used for endorsement or advertising brands or labels. I am simply sharing some favourites that I have enjoyed for years, and have helped make each Christmas as memorable and fun as the last.

1. Decorating the Christmas tree

This is a tradition that I like to do as early as possible. I promise you, I would decorate the Christmas tree in November if I could. Trailing the twinkling lights around the branches, and dangling the sparkly baubles fills me with a sense of anticipation for Christmas day. I invision sitting around the tree with my sister about to unwrap our presents with the same excitement and joy as a young child. I remember family Christmas dinners, sitting on the couch drinking cups of coffee with the music playing softly in the background, and the fairy lights blinking as the merriness continues late into the night.

2. Putting up Christmas decorations

I'm sure we all have those decorations that we put up every year at Christmas time. Some may be more garish than others, but without them Christmas simply would not be the same. One of the first decorations I like to put up is my Christmas stocking. Over the years, these stockings have seen many a stuffing with Cadbury's chocs, and other dinky presents like bracelets and lipgloss. Rummaging through my Christmas stocking brings out my inner child, and I love nothing more than to close my eyes and guess what's in the stocking before actually revealing the contents.



3. Watching Christmas movies

Christmas would not be Christmas without themed movies! If you are a movie-lover like myself, then this time of year is the perfect time to curl up on the sofa and watch Christmas movies. The Polar Express and Miracle on 34th Street are my favourite Christmas movies, and I watch them annually. Those two movies, I feel, truly epitomise the meaning of Christmas, and explore the whimsy and wonder of Christmas. Other Christmas movies I love include How The Grinch Stole Christmas, ElfThe Holiday, and Christmas With The Kranks.

4. Christmas baking!

As you can tell from my Christmas baking series, I absolutely love holiday themed baking! So far, I have baked gluten-free berry and banana muffins, oatmeal coconut biscuits, an apple and cinnamon-crumble cake, and just recently, a wonderfully-moist ginger cake! I baked this cake to give to the lovely staff at a nursing home in my neighbourhood, and I am so excited to deliver it to them. Giving back to the community is one of the most honourable and heart-warming acts you can do this holiday season. It truly is better to give than to receive. Not only is it an incredibly humbling experience, but it will bring joy and happiness to another person.



5. Reading Christmas novels

As I mentioned previously, reading is one of my favourite pastimes. Snuggling up with a good novel and a cup of tea is one of the perfect ways to unwind and destress. One classic novel that begins around Christmas time is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I am reading it for the first time this year. I also plan to read The Gift by Cecelia Ahern, a brilliant writer. A book I highly recommend you read if you get the chance is a book called Ornaments of Christmas Joy by Mary Grace Birkhead. I was given a copy as a Christmas present, and I read it annually. It contains Biblical passages, and explains them in a way that we may apply them to everyday life.

I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful Christmas. Bake lots of lovely things, read a lot of books, tell your family you love them, and most importantly, don't leave any Christmas shopping to the last minute!

XO

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Sarah-Kate Says