Thursday 4 December 2014

Holidays: Madness and Bliss

Hello everybody! The holidays have finally arrived, hurrah hurrah! Nothing will ever beat the sweet feeling of coming home from school, kicking off your school shoes, and banishing your school bag to the back of the cupboard. Not to mention kissing exams and homework goodbye.

This time of year is traditionally known as the festive season. Now, you all know I love this time of year (see previous posts, or even my mini-Christmas baking series!), as I love the hush of peace, comfort and cosiness that December magically evokes. There's nothing better than being with your family sharing memories and laughs, watching Christmas films, decorating the Christmas tree, and just being together for some much needed family bonding time after a jam-packed year.

Many people find that with the holiday hysteria, shopping for Christmas gifts, and visiting relatives, finding the actual time to relax in your well-deserved holiday needs to be scheduled into your busy day. So, I'm going to share with you simple ways to relax and get festive during the December holidays.

1. Listen to Christmas music

I'm a very traditional soul, and yes, I already have started playing my Celine Dion Christmas album in the car. Listening to Christmas music helps me to remember past Christmas experiences, and puts me in a jolly mood. Try singing along if you're feeling particularly festive, and don't be afraid to belt out 'O Come All Ye Faithful' at the top of your lungs.

2. Bake some Christmas cookies

Baking is one of my favourite hobbies, and this year I decided to incorporate my love for baking with my love for all things Christmassy. From muffins, to biscuits, to crumble-cakes, my list is only growing bigger! Baking is very calming, as you are in complete control of everything that's happening. The wonderful smell that fills your kitchen while baking will make you feel completely at ease and happy. And who can deny that feeling of pride when you slide your tray out of the oven to see the wonderful creations you've made? Why not bake something to give to someone in need? I'm planning on making ginger biscuits to give to the staff at a nursing home in my neighbourhood.

3. Read!

Reading is one of life's simple pleasures. It involves a snug arm chair for comfort, and a book to transport you to another world. You can travel to the beaches of Australia, a guest house in Canada, a villa in France, or a temple in Istanbul, all while being in the comfort of your own home. I love reading in my downtime, and am building a collection of Christmas novels to read closer to Christmas time.

4. Spend time outside

As it is sunny here in the Southern hemisphere, I take any excuse to be outside as much as possible. We are so fortunate to have sunny, warm Christmases, and over the years I've had many Christmas picnics, outdoor lunches, and beach drives. Spending time outside, often with a good book, is one of my favourite ways to relax. It helps to relieve stress, as you feel completely at one with nature. I'm obviously aware that too much sun exposure can be dangerous, and apply sunscreen liberally!

5. Watch movies

I like to watch as many Christmas movies as possible during December. I like to watch movies that I haven't watched before, as well as classics that I've been watching since I was little. There's nothing better than curling up with your loved ones and being swept away on a magical Christmas tale.

I hope this list has inspired you to become more festive this holiday! I wish you a happy, restful holiday, and a warm festive season filled with love (and gingerbread!).

"Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges. So relax."
- Bryant McGill



XO



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Sarah-Kate Says