Friday 10 October 2014

Detoxing and Dealing with Stress

Greetings! Spring has certainly come along in full vigour, and I'm loving every minute of it. I hope you are lapping up the sun, and enjoying your Friday afternoon as I am.

We are fast approaching the end of the school holidays, and I can already feel myself curling into the fetal position at the thought of the end of year exams. Stress is something that I have not dealt well with in the past, and I'm proud to say I've been getting a better grip on it. So, I've decided to help some of my fellow befuddled teens with the issue of detoxing and dealing with stress.

1) Get organised

Organisation is something that I pride myself on. I can never work in a messy space. Clear out your pencil case, and make sure that you have pens that actually work. I find that setting my pens and writing pads out where I can see them motivates me to work even more. If you have a small desk like me, use boxes and pots to store your pens and other stationery, like sticky notes and staplers. It will open up more space for you to work. Tidy your working space, and make sure that this becomes the place for your regular revision. If you find working in your bedroom too distracting, try working at the kitchen or dining room table. Let everyone in your family know that they must be quiet around this place so as not to distract you. One thing that I am trying to stop doing is working or studying on my bed. Working at a desk at home will give you the subconscious impression of working at your school desk, and will actually mentally prepare you for the exam conditions.

Clear a shelf to store all of the books and files you bring home with you. Print out your exam schedule, and highlight the dates of your exams. Make sure your parents see this as well. If you're feeling super organised, why not compile a study timetable. I know that this method doesn't work for everybody, but it helps me clear my head, and I end up feeling more motivated and prepared to study.

2) Make time for sports and clubs

If you take part in sports and clubs regularly after school, by now your body will have become accustomed to that routine. Suddenly stopping this routine to give yourself more study time will only result in a shock to the system. Exercise is very healthy and beneficial for the body, and is an excellent de-stresser. It releases endorphins which make you happy, while at the same time allowing you to let off steam.

3) Let go of distractions

I'm sure we can all agree that this is one of the hardest parts of studying. Tumblr somehow becomes more enticing when I need to study. I try to convince myself that, even though I've only been studying for ten minutes, I'm in dire need of a break. I've taken control of this by deleting all social media apps off my phone. It feels weird for a little while, not being able to like or reblog anything, but at the same time it feels nice. I feel more in control and less stressed because I know that I don't have access to my distraction. Of course, you don't have to use this method. You can do something as easy as switching your phone off and locking it in a cupboard, or hiding the TV remote (just as long as your family can find it).

4) Listen to your body

Many of us feel that we can study for three hours straight without a break. You must realise that your body needs time to rejuvenate so that you can focus and study effectively. If you are tired, take a quick nap, and make sure that your bed time stays consistent. Studying late into the night will only result in more stress, and nobody likes walking into the exam room like a zombie. 

5) Stop if you feel overwhelmed

This is something that I have been getting better at. Being overwhelmed is often brought on by a terrible combination of exhaustion, anxiety and stress. You begin to feel that, no matter how much you've studied, you do not know the work. The best way to deal with this is to stop and put your pen down. Take a few deep breaths and clear your head completely. If you are still sitting down, stand up and take a walk somewhere. Take as much time as you need until you feel calm, and then come back and start your revision again. You will study more effectively with a clear head, and surprise yourself by how much you actually know and remember. 

I find that there is no reason to stress if you have sufficiently prepared. As long as you have done that, you've done yourself and your mental health a favour.

To the Matrics writing their final exams this term, good luck! I hope that this post helped get you in the right frame of mind for the term ahead. Enjoy the rest of the holidays lovelies, and let's take charge of the term!

"A man of calm is like a shady tree. People who need shelter come to it."
- Toba Beta


XO

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Sarah-Kate Says