Friday 3 October 2014

Traditions

Aloha dear reader! I hope your Friday is treating you sweetly. I've certainly been having a wonderful day, and I hope you are too. 

Towards this time of year, I like to think about traditions. I love traditions. They give me a sense of pride and belonging. I go to a school that's very big on traditions. Some people might see Founder's Day at schools as a grand spectacle in which the fine, young students and the school's spanking facilities are showcased. I see it as a day, one day out of the year, where everyone in the school can come together and celebrate the beauty of their humble little school, and embrace the sense of family and love. I can't tell you how much pride I feel when I slip on my school dress, and put on my blazer. I know that I represent a school that has taught me so many values, not only for school, but for many years to come. And to be able to celebrate the school that has given so much to me as a mere pupil is one of the greatest gifts I could ask for, or give in this sense.

Another wonderful tradition which I personally love, is getting a bunch of roses on my birthday. It's one thing that I've grown accustomed to, yet I still find myself being shocked when I come home one day to find a bunch of roses on the kitchen table. In my head, I can imagine my mum walking around the buckets of roses at the shops, carefully inspecting each bunch to find the perfect bouquet to prop up in the vase, and splendour in the dappled sunlight. Birthdays are simply wonderful, aren't they? Who doesn't love being showered in gifts, kisses and attention? I love hosting family gatherings, and birthdays are the perfect time to rally everyone together and have a slice of cake and a cup of tea. This year, however, we did things slightly differently. Instead of having the whole family together on my birthday, we drove to visit them. My gran joined us for my special birthday breakfast, which consisted of a heavenly hot chocolate and an egg and bacon croissant (exquis!). Later, we drove to my paternal grandparents house, where I was entertained by my little cousin, who had maybe had one too many slices of chocolate cake. Although this wasn't the traditional way of celebrating my birthday, I enjoyed it. I never thought change and tradition could be a good couple, but they proved to work well together this year.

My beautiful roses and birthday cake!
Did I mention I baked it myself? <3

One might argue that it's too early to start thinking about Christmas, but there some traditions with it that I'd like to share with you. Going to the morning service at my church is one of my favourite traditions. Everyone is extra cheery, and there's a sense of peace and content as we approach the end of the year. My family likes to alternate between the midnight service and the service on Christmas morning. I quite like the midnight service. I like seeing the people spilling quietly out of their homes into the street, their figures illuminated by the streetlight, and bouncing off of the walls. Christmas morning brings out my inner child. I love digging into my stocking and finding scrumptious Cadbury's delights. And who can deny the wonderful thrill that unwrapping presents gives? 

Traditions remind us all of who we are, and where we come from. For me, it brings me pride, and reminds me that the team is greater than the individual. In this, I am reminded of the love my family has for me. Have a blessed week, and be mindful of those around you.

"Cultures grow on the vine of tradition."
- Jonah Goldberg


XO

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Sarah-Kate Says